Sunday 29 September 2013

Some like it hot



I rarely have a shower when I stay at my beloved's house.... Sorry, that sounds disgusting!  What I mean is, because we live almost next door to each other, it's much easier to go home and wash there.  However, it was one of those lovely, lazy Sunday mornings today, with no reason to get up before 10.30, so I thought I'd risk it.

"What's to risk?" I hear you ask.  Ah, well... his shower hates me.  It was born to a single-parent household, and it knows that I'm not really its mummy.  So it sulks, and won't do what I ask.  "It always works fine for me," my beloved stated, mystified.  But he only spends about 20 seconds in there with the setting on cool, whereas I like 20 minutes on hot.  I suppose that's the equivalent of demanding that it spring cleans its room, when all that's usually expected of it is that it leaves its dirty plates out on the landing. Anyway, all it was prepared to do for me this morning was aim a couple of rather pathetic, icy trickles of water at the wall, combined with a weak spray of scalding hot in the other direction.  Since it has a rather brief attention span, I rapidly soaped and swore, hoping that nothing from downstairs would distract it and cause it to disappear altogether.  It must be the only shower in the country with ADHD.

Part of the problem, I suspect, is that it is an only child; unlike my shower it has never experienced the sibling rivalry provided by an older bathtub.  There is a certain air of competition in my bathroom, as my bath and shower metaphorically sit up straight and try to attract my attention with their good behaviour and eagerness to please.  And I must say, they get on very well together, especially now.  Before I got my beautiful new combi-boiler, having a bath required so much advance planning that, by the time the water was hot enough, I'd gone off the idea.  Now, though, I can run as much hot water as I like, whenever I like!  My bath no longer feels miserable and neglected, and my shower has to be on her best behaviour all the time, since she now has some real competition.

We decided in the end that his shower probably needed a bit of attention, so we soaked it in bleach and poked it with a pin, whereupon it started behaving in a much more grown-up, gentlemanly fashion.  Tough love.