Wednesday 11 September 2013

Still standing



Martin Luther (1483-1586) said, "Here I stand, I can do no other".  Sounds like he too had a bad back.  Last week I was reduced to scuttling around, hunched over, with my backside stuck out and my arms pumping madly to get some momentum going - picture a cross between Donald Duck and one of the Seven Dwarves.  {Grumpy, obviously.} I used to go ice skating as a child, and I discovered that I could apply the same principle - get as quickly as you can to where you can hold onto something, then try to pull yourself upright.  I found the window pole very helpful for this, raising myself up, hand over hand, until I stood triumphant.  Sadly, I then looked more like Gandalf the Grey than Snow White, but at least I could look my co-workers in the eye.

It was a little easier at home, where the chairs are more comfortable and I had less need to move about.  Apart from going to the bathroom.  I adopted the strategy of crawling to the foot of the stairs then walking my hands up a few steps ahead of my feet.  Pulling on the banisters at the top helped a bit, but not enough.  I still wasn't able to reach the pull chord for the light.  Reader, I weed in the dark.  At least I could sit down.
Now that I can move freely again (more or less) I've been considering what exercise I can do on a regular basis to keep supple.  {Shut up, Adam!} I quite fancy yoga, that's nice and gentle.

  Or maybe swimming; the pool is only a short walk away.  Have to buy a new costume though; my bikini appears to have shrunk, and now when I put it on it resembles two elastic bands round an egg.

I visited a friend the other day, and noticed that she was moving rather carefully - yep, someone else with a bad back.  "How did you manage to do that?" I asked.  "I thought you'd just had a relaxing holiday."  "It was supposed to be," she replied, "I went on a yoga retreat."  Oh dear.  Swimming it is then.