Tuesday 17 September 2013

Water feature



Various people I know have had bad experiences with water over the last year or so, resulting in nasty brown patches on ceilings and a general sense of unease about water tanks in the loft.  My anxiety about this has finally overruled my reluctance to spend money I can't afford, so I'm replacing my perfectly good boiler (it's only 25 years old, for goodness sake, and only makes really worrying noises when it first comes on) with a new combi-boiler.

So today, while I've been at work, the engineer has drained all the water from the system and removed the immersion tank from the airing cupboard.  This has given me loads more storage space, but nowhere to dry my knickers.  I can live with that; I'll just need a bit more forward planning.  And more knickers.

He can't remove the (now thankfully empty) tank from the loft, as it's too big to go through the hatch - it must have been installed when the house was being built, before the roof went on.  Since pretty well everyone I know is also too big to go through the hatch as well, it's not a problem, because I won't be storing anything up there.  When I bought extra rolls of insulation three years ago we only just managed to push them up through the hole.   They've stayed there,  rolled up, ever since, in the hope that one day I'd meet someone small and co-operative who'd be prepared to ascend into the upper regions and sort them out.  I'd have done it myself, only I'm too short and weak to pull myself up from the top of the stepladder and, even if I could get up there, I'd be too much of a woos to jump down again.

So tonight I have a beautiful new boiler that isn't connected up yet, so no hot water and, more importantly, no heating.  I can't get to my wardrobe to put on more clothes, as my bedroom is full of stuff that had to be moved out of the spare room, in order for the engineer to reach the loft hatch and the airing cupboard.  I can't even get to my bed easily, so I shall now remove my gloves and migrate to a warmer place for the night.