Saturday 24 August 2013

The 'S'-word



The last time I wore proper, grown-up shoes was for one day only, at the wedding we went to in December.  I generally go straight from boots to flip-flops, and very comfortable it is too.  However, despite my dislike of wearing normal shoes, I do in fact have... yep, you guessed it... many pairs.  I believe this is a reaction to my childhood, when I only ever had one pair of shoes at a time - sturdy brown lace-ups for winter, and crepe-soled sandals {also brown} for summer.

My best friend at the time had the same style, but hers were red. I wasn't allowed red shoes because, "They won't go with anything".  This was clearly rubbish but I had no choice in the matter until, aged ten, I saved up my pocket money and bought my own sandals {purple}.

This week, I attended a formal occasion when neither boots nor flip-flops would have been acceptable, so I had to bring down the dusty box from the top of the wardrobe and seek out a pair of stilettos.  They were fine in the morning - walking was a bit of a challenge, particularly on grass, but I held on tight to my beloved, adopted a Marilyn Monroe wiggle, and just about managed to get around safely {if a little inappropriately, considering we were at a funeral}.  By the time we got to the wake I couldn't wait to remove them.  This would not have been dignified, so I was forced to hide in the toilet, sitting with my aching, hot, nylon-clad feet firmly planted on the cool floor tiles, wondering how long I could stay there before people became concerned for my digestion.

What I should have done, of course, was have a pair of flat shoes in my bag, to change into.  You can get some very pretty flat shoes that look like ballet slippers, but I don't possess any.  I have nothing against ballet shoes; as a teenager I often wore my actual ballet shoes {black} to go out in.  But that's the point - I'm not a teenager any more, and I think they'd look silly on a woman of mature years with short legs.  I mentioned this to a friend a few months ago, and she admitted to having worn her tap shoes in public.  I am seriously considering this idea; tap shoes are comfortable, and you can get them in red.  I suppose I'd have to remove the metal tap bits though, if I wanted anyone I know to come out with me.