Thursday 15 August 2013

Photo opportunities



Photography has always been a big deal in my family.  Grandad took photos at every conceivable opportunity, often at great inconvenience to everyone else, or so it seemed to me at the time.   I'm not talking about your average holiday snaps. I mean proper, posed shots, when we all had to sit motionless during those endless seconds between him pressing the plunger and the shutter clicking.  {Cameras didn't have a 'delay' function in those days; if you wanted to be in the picture yourself (and he did) you had to buy a mechanical device to trigger the shutter release - imagine a miniature dynamite plunger attached to a long wire, which you screwed into the camera.} Then there were the landscapes which, by definition, couldn't have people in them.  My grandmother would attend patiently, feet slowly turning to ice, as grandad waited for the perfect combination of light, weather conditions and emptiness.

I must confess, I do the same as him with landscapes.  I fuss around for ages, changing my lens and taking the same scene from several angles.  That's after I've waited for all the passers-by to pass by.  But I also like taking quick shots of funny or interesting things and, since my camera is too big to carry around all the time, I chose a mobile phone that was capable of taking good quality pictures.  And it was great... until it decided to evolve into a sulky little filing clerk.

It started a few months ago, when pictures began disappearing from my 'gallery'.  I eventually found that 'she' (the phone) had buried them on 'My Files' on the memory card.  I assumed that there wasn't enough room on the phone itself to store them so I deleted a load of updates and a couple of applications, turned it off and on a few times, and one or two pictures came back.  But not for long. Ok, I thought, maybe I just have to select the one I want to look at in 'My Files'.  Tried that, but she wasn't having it.  Sometimes she doesn't let me select a picture at all,{"Nah, we don't do that here"} or keeps me hanging around for ages before producing a tiny,  generic picture of a chess pawn with its head split open. {"You asked for a picture, an' that's wot you've got."} Occasionally she lets me email a picture to myself, but not often, and only one at a time.

Today, I found the USB cable and connected the phone to my computer, in an attempt to download my pictures that way.  She really didn't like that.  I think I must have provoked the phone equivalent of constructive dismissal as, not only did it not work, but she now tells me I haven't got a memory card at all.  Mind you, she's flounced off in a huff like that before, so I expect it'll turn up again sooner or later.  In the meantime I'll just have to use a proper camera again, as grandad would no doubt have advised in the first place.