Thursday 30 May 2013

Signs of summer



'Spring is sprung, the grass is riz... I wonder where the moo-cows iz?'

This field is usually full of cows by now but, so far, they haven't turned up to do their regular summer job of keeping the grass down. No-one I know has ever seen them arrive or leave, which is a bit of a mystery, as the field is adjacent to a very busy road and surrounded by houses. There is a theory that the cows are beamed in from outer space, but I favour the idea that they come up from underground, like pantomime demons on a trapdoor. I have reached this conclusion because sometimes they disappear for a few hours in the middle of the day. I wonder if they sneak off down tunnels to the seaside? They'd certainly find everything they could possibly need at this shop.

Note the woolly hats and gloves on the left. This is Yorkshire, after all. But why, in the name of all that's plastic, would you need a table mat on the beach? Or perhaps the rather handsome gorillas are the equivalent of naughty postcards for the cows to send to their friends. Maybe they'd buy one of the alarmingly coloured toy sheep {which I initially thought were balls of wool to knit more gloves} from the basket in the centre of the picture.

I too usually like to purchase a small souvenir whenever I visit some interesting venue on a summer outing. I managed to resist this one though!