Wednesday 13 March 2013

Stuff of life



When I moved to Yorkshire, my possessions were few.  The only furniture I owned was a desk and a folding chair, although I did buy a bed on the day I moved in.  I had some precious photos to put on the walls, but that was pretty much it.  This was partly through circumstance, but mainly because that was how I liked it; minimal.  And, if you'd asked me this morning, I'd still have said that I prefer not to be surrounded by a load of things.  (Apart from my desk, but that's just work in progress, obviously.)  Then I came home tonight and, while washing up my breakfast things, I realised just how much stuff I've accumulated because, in the words of William Morris, I know it to be useful or believe it to be beautiful.

This, for example, is only part of the stuff surrounding my kitchen sink.

Left to right, back row: 2 wine jugs from a French boot fair, pot plant, stones from Suffolk, vase of flowers, 1 large sheep and 2 small elephants, stones from Yorkshire with a small wooden angel I found in the garden, another pot plant, shell from Carnac, beermat from Suffolk, (Adnams Bitter, I'm afraid, but a nice picture) stones from France, a salt candle holder and a small hanging lamp (not hanging from anything).
Front row: ceramic yoghurt pot, strainer spoon, coasters, dog biscuits, 2p coins, 1p coins, handcream, liquid soap and paint brushes for when I get round to putting another coat of enamel over the nasty grey trim on the kitchen cupboards.

I think it's a sign of a full and happy life.  That is my story, and I'm sticking to it like chewing gum to the cat.