Thursday 21 March 2013

French leave



Having just returned from a relaxing short break in France, I dedicate this post to poor Mr Saunders, my old French teacher.  He wasn't old when I met him, but I suspect he aged rapidly thereafter.  I disrupted more of his classes than I care to remember, but he still wouldn't let me drop the subject.  I argued passionately - what was the point?  I hated French, couldn't do it and couldn't imagine ever needing to speak it.  It was Lowestoft in the 1970s, for goodness sake; a day trip to Norwich was a major expedition!  Crossing the harbour bridge was enough for me, particularly after it stuck open, and the army had to come and build a temporary footbridge.  I was certainly never going to cross the Channel.

However, the poor man insisted, so I struggled resentfully on and, by some miracle, managed to pass my 'O' level at grade C.  I think this was less due to the efforts of Mr Saunders than to my practising vocabulary in bed with my then boyfriend (later to become my first husband) on Saturday mornings.  {C'est quoi ca? Vraiment?  Je ne pense pas que ca serai dans mon exam...} If it hadn't been for the fact that, after two years of teasing him mercilessly I was feeling rather sorry for Mr S by then, I wouldn't have bothered.  There are better things to be doing on Saturday mornings, after all.

Now though, I have nothing but gratitude for that unfortunate teacher.  I have, contrary to youthful expectation, spent many happy weeks in France, secure in the knowledge that I can not only ask for directions and buy food, but have actual conversations about politics, geography and complex family relationships!  My life is richer for it, and I feel that I should write to the new Pope and demand that, as one of his first actions, he elevate Mr Saunders to the ranks of the Blessed, if not actual sainthood.