Wednesday 9 January 2013

Let there be light



One of my kitchen light bulbs exploded last night, and the remaining three were still in shock this morning, so they refused to come on.  I do sympathise with them; it was rather startling - I just flicked the switch, there was a bang, and the floor was covered with broken glass.  At least, I assume it was, as I haven't seen it in daylight yet, or been able to replace the bulb.  There certainly were several nasty-looking shards that I managed to sweep under the table in the dark, not wanting to pad across the floor in my bare feet to find the dustpan.

So this morning I was forced to make my breakfast by fridge-light, although the term, 'make my breakfast' is probably misleading; I have tea and yoghurt.  {No, of course not mixed!}  I can't be doing with anything more challenging to assemble at 6.30 am.  It would have been easier if the fridge door would stay open, but it doesn't.  So I had to stand with my upper half in the fridge, in order to see where my outstretched arm was pouring boiling water.

Now I have to buy a new light bulb, which I don't anticipate will be easy.  Most shops no longer sell ordinary bulbs, because They are trying to make us all purchase totally ineffective 'energy saving' ones, which take ages to come on, protrude in a most unattractive way above the lampshade and....oh yeah, are apparently full of mercury, or some such toxic stuff.  If one of them breaks I'll have more to worry about than cut feet.