Tuesday 29 April 2014

Briggate Buskers


I was in Leeds on Sunday, for the first time in forty years, and the changes for both of us have been considerable  - apart from retaining a tendency towards the Gothic. 
 Everywhere looked so different!

 Picture © Copyright AndrewCurtis and licensed for reuse under this CreativeCommons Licence 


The only buildings that looked familiar were the Arcades, and I'd forgotten all about them until I went inside.  On reflection though, I didn't spend much time in the city itself when I lived there, as I didn't actually have much to spend at all.  No change there, then.   
 No harm in looking though, and there were so many fabulous shops to browse in... Oooh, Wilko!  Primark!  {Oh dear.  I really should get out more.}
 Picture © Copyright Stephen Richards and licensed for reuse under this CreativeCommons Licence 

Another thing that hadn't changed was the great atmosphere.  Leeds Varieties  isn't just the name of a theatre, it's a way of life!  There was so much to see and do; I'll have to go back again soon.

What really made my day was the buskers.  Not the Salvation Army Band, surprisingly good though they were.  Nor the line of six or so brightly-clad bongo drummers, although their music was more to my taste.  No, the best music in the city on Sunday was provided by a couple of lads in the middle of Briggate - a joyful drummer on a box, and a guitarist with the best voice I've heard for a long time.  I would have taken a photo but decided that, as they both appeared to be under 18, it probably wouldn't be a good idea.  Shame really, they deserve to be noticed, and I wish them success.