Tuesday 25 February 2014

The Cat Sat


Hey diddle diddle, the cat's on the griddle!
 
I'm guessing that Ozzy from next door is a bit of an optimist, but I'm afraid that isn't going to be a nice warm place to sit for several months!  Or maybe {and I haven't looked yet} he's decided that my barbeque is his own personal toilet, so he doesn't have to get his feet wet and dirty.  More likely, I think, is that he's realized that it's just the right height for him to make eye contact with me, as I sit at the kitchen table.  He wants to come in.... clearly, he knows nothing about the contents of my fridge {beer and cake} or the fact that it's warmer outdoors than it is inside my house.

I'd love to have a cat but, given my age and gender, the risk of turning into a stereotype is too great.  I don't want to end up smelling of wee and going shopping in my slippers.  My former landlady {a most elegant lady who smelt of Chanel perfume} had a cat - in fact, part of my tenancy agreement was to look after it whenever she was away.  No problem!  It was a nice, friendly little cat; good company too.  The only real issue I had was calling it home in evenings.  My landlady was a university professor, so you'd think she might have come up with an interesting and unusual name for her pet.  But I guess her brain must have been full with other stuff.  I do not recommend standing at your back door, in the heart of the city, shouting "Pussy!"