Friday 22 November 2013

The Wise Men of Three


On Friday afternoon my unreliable mobile phone, SuzieSamsung, decided to 'pull a sickie'.  The screen started flashing rapidly then went completely black, as she did the equivalent of "Aaaah, I feel so ill!" and pretended to pass out.  I was taken in at first and solicitously recharged her battery, but she remained unresponsive.  A good night's sleep did nothing to restore her either, so on Saturday I ventured into the East, {Hull, to be precise} seeking counsel from the Wise Men of 3.

My beloved optimistically dropped me off outside St Stephen's shopping centre, saying he'd drive round the block and pick me up when I'd finished.  Feeling rather like Captain Oates, I reminded him "I am just going inside, but may be some time".
 Picture  © Copyright PaulGlazzard and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

He told me afterwards that he'd made five circuits of the city in increasingly wide circles, since he had no way to contact me to find out how much longer I was going to be.

It was time well spent.  The wonderful young men in the 3-Store couldn't have been more helpful.  They discovered that, although the light was off, there was definitely someone at home - Suzie was hiding behind the sofa with the curtains drawn, while her boss {me} tried to peer in at the window.  They advised me that I could either get rid of her now by giving her 6 months' wages in lieu of notice, or send her to a private clinic to be treated.  I decided that sacking her was the best option.

Now, of course, I had to find a replacement.  No problem.  The Wise Men introduced me to some suitably qualified candidates, then repossessed all my files from Suzie and passed them on to her successor.  This involved quite a bit of fiddly techy stuff, which I watched in awe.  We are not worthy.   

Anyway, I now have Miss Sonia Sony.  She is taller and slimmer than Suzie, and seems rather like James Bond's Miss Moneypenny.  She has advised me on energy saving measures, and has even managed to find some of the photos that Suzie hid.  Miss Sonia has arranged them where I can see them, in date order, and assures me that I could even view them on my television screen, should I wish.  Never mind about gold, frankincense and myrrh, I have google, facebook and mail.  Not to mention a pretty carrier bag.