Thursday 28 February 2013

Earthly delights



My garden is rather like an unruly teenager.  I love it to bits, and it can be beautiful and amazing; a constant surprise and delight.  But most of the time it just throws its stuff all over the floor and annoys the neighbours.  I don't think it's decided yet whether it's an Emo or a Goth.

I believe it will eventually respond to love and good sense, so I spent some time on Saturday picking autumn leaves out of the lavender.  Then I realised that my back was going again, so I wandered round with the secateurs, feeling rather like Morticia Adams {but less elegantly dressed} snipping dry, straggly brown stuff off the hanging baskets.

My beloved takes a different approach, imposing a somewhat strict regime on his garden.  Enforced good conduct and discipline is the order of the day there.  {Get your hedge cut, you horrible little bush.} I must admit, his garden is much better behaved than mine, but I can't help worrying that it's just biding its time waiting for the chance to rebel.  I know that my garden will have a wild party whenever I go on holiday, but he can never be sure about his.

In case you were wondering, yes, I do have gardening gloves.  At least, I have gloves that I wear in the garden, which I suppose isn't quite the same.  Proper gardening gloves all seem to be made to fit the Jolly Green Giant so, having rather small hands, I can't pick up anything when I'm wearing them.  At the same time, they're so short and loose round the wrist that they keep filling with earth, which rather defeats the object.  I wear ordinary thermal gloves with elasticated wrists, but perhaps when the weather gets a bit warmer I'll try the full Morticia and wear my long satin evening gloves.