Tuesday 19 February 2013

All I need is gloves



I've just bought a pair of rubber gloves. {I can feel my 'inner Adam' starting to snigger at this already.}  I'm not normally worried about protecting my hands, but I was treated to a manicure last weekend and it seemed churlish to respond by ceasing to do the washing up.  Anyway, having invested a modest 69p in a pink, fleecy-lined pair I was surprised to find an instruction sheet in the packet.  In four European languages.  How hard can it be to work out what to do with a pair of rubber gloves?  {Shut up Adam!}   More complicated than you'd think.  Click on the picture, and see for yourself.


I'm quite prepared to "carry out a visual inspection prior to use, to detect major defects", but when it comes to "Avoid using to handle liquids"  I am somewhat perplexed.  Why else would anyone be wearing rubber gloves in a domestic situation, if it doesn't involve liquids of some kind?
{My metaphorical Adam is now giggling helplessly, but is also quite puzzled.} Most household chemicals are liquids, after all.
I was prepared to take the risk with hot soapy water, since the maintenance instructions say that's what I should clean them with, after use.  I'm sure my argument would stand up in court if the gloves disintegrated and I sued the manufacturer for a refund of my 69p.  However, I was distressed to realize that I wouldn't be able to produce the evidence, as I had already rashly disposed of the original packaging... how was I to know I should retain it for transporting them, it just looked like an ordinary plastic bag!