Wednesday 5 December 2012

Out, damn splot!



I'm sure you'll be delighted to know that I've just washed my hands.  It wasn't easy, despite having a half-full pump dispenser of beautifully scented liquid soap in my bathroom.  It looks so elegant, standing there on a white china tray, but will it give me any soap?  No it damn well won't!   I've tried pumping it at a variety of different speeds.  I've tried unscrewing the top and washing out the tube.  I've tried diluting the soap liquid (which is very thick and gel-like).  Not a splot.  Eventually I just unscrewed the top again and poured some out.  As I replaced the dispenser on the tray, I swear it gave a self-satisfied, ladylike little snort to its twin, the handcream bottle.  I didn't give her the satisfaction of even trying to extract some handcream on this occasion, as I know very well that she's just as reluctant to part with her contents.
Why do manufacturers put toiletries in bottles that you can't get them out of?  Do they really think that we'll just throw away half-full bottles and buy more of the stuff?  I refuse to be beaten by a bit of plastic, but I'm reluctant to take the breadknife to it just yet, as I did with my moisturiser bottle a little while ago.  When I'd finally sawn the bottle in half, there was enough moisturiser in the bottom for another two weeks!  Unfortunately, the way I was screwing up my face with the effort of the sawing process has just given me more wrinkles, so it probably wasn't worth doing.